Lemon meringue pie was a special event in my house growing up. Mom made it from scratch, and that combination of sweet and sour was terrific. I still love delicious desserts, but I know they may not love me back. The sugar content is high, and while I love food, I also want to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. My solution was not to go without but to devise a sugar-free recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Makes 2 x 250ml jars
- Two large eggs, beaten
- 200-225g xylitol
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 115g butter
- Sterilise your jars and lids by boiling them in hot water for 10 minutes in a large pot.
- Once you remove the jars, reduce the heat so the water is hot but not boiling. Add a smaller pot inside the large pot, creating a double boiler.
- Add xylitol, butter, lemon juice, and zest to the smaller pot and whisk together until the butter and xylitol have melted.
- Slowly add the beaten egg to the mixture and whisk continuously until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to overcook the curd, as it will be too thick when it cools down. You also must be careful to add the egg in slowly; otherwise, you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Add the lemon curd to your sterilised containers leaving one ½cm room at the top.
- You cannot process the lemon curd using the boiling bath method, so you must store it in the fridge.
This curd is delicious. Serve this and you will be a true Dometic Goddess.
As always, live well.