This recipe is very easy and absolutely delicious. Using food that would otherwise have been thrown away is great for the hip pocket and the environment. Making do with what you have is a simple living idea, but it does not mean you need to miss out on anything. Here is my recipe.
- 1.4 kg Green Tomatoes, diced
- Two apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- One large onion, peeled and diced
- Four small chillies, diced
- Two teaspoons of ground ginger
- 175 ml brown vinegar (Malt)
- 200 grams of brown sugar
- 200 grams sultanas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare your 250 ml jars and lids by sterilising them in boiling water for ten minutes. The sterilisation step can be skipped, and you can use washed, rinsed, hot jars and lids if you are processing for 10 minutes or more in the boiling water bath at the end of the recipe.
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Bring to a boil and cook, covered for 30 minutes.
- Process your filled jars in a boiling water bath for five minutes. If you did not pre-sterilise your jars and lids, process them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Once processed, remove the jars from the boiling water bath using your jar lifter and set aside to cool.
That's it. I am done talking about green tomatoes and what to do with them .... till next year. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as my family does.
As always, live well.